Friday, April 20, 2012

Artful Times and Mojo Mondays

Scrapbook.com had a fantastic paper sale a few weeks ago - 10 cents a sheet.
10 CENTS A SHEET!

And not that flimsy crap you get at the dollar spot at Target,
we're talking REAL paper - 
Graphic 45, Echo Park, Canvas Corp, Teresa Collins, My Mind's Eye,
Prima, Studio Calico . . . 

Okay, I'll stop now. You get the idea. 

I admit I bought some that I never would have looked twice at.
Like the lime green zebra striped paper from Canvas Corp.
But it was ONLY 10 CENTS!

It seems my lime green paper was destiny in the making,
because the Artful Times challenge this week is titled 'A Sea of Greens'.

So, armed with my green paper and Mojo Monday's current sketch I got to work.





I'm all for "go big or go home", but that may be a little too bold even for me.
Let's tone down that background paper using the apple bag technique.


It's messy. And fun. You should try it.


Better. But I don't love the placement.
I usually try to follow sketches to the T, but I'm going to play with this.


Mm hmm. A little washi tape never hurt anyone.
And some stitching so those circles won't look like they're floating.


{I really need a sewing machine.}


Hooray! More stitching, more lime green zebra paper, and more washi tape.


A little sentiment sticker and a few Stickle dots and we are done!


Be sure to check out Artful Times and Mojo Mondays
for some fun challenges.

And don't be afraid to buy paper that is outside of your comfort zone!

14 comments:

  1. OHHH, Melissa..very pretty! Love the technique you used with the apple bag! LOVE IT! Now, on to the important part..why in the heck didn't you tell me about the cent sale?! lol You gotta keep your friends updated on these things! ;) Just teasin' ya! Have a great day!

    Hugs,
    HL

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was supposed to be 10 cent sale..guess my number keys were off..lol TGIF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sketch is cute but I do love how yours turned out after you played around with it! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel, I prefer your card to the sketch! Great technique with the apple bag, I should try it, it does look like fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did with the sketch, moving the circles was definitely the way to go. Great job, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love the way you have toned done the the brightnes of the background and the washi tape spripes love all the ideas of this card :)
    Thank you for sharing with us at Artful Times
    Von x☺x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome sale finds! And this card...OMG...it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this card with us at Artful Times. I love the apple bag technique - what a great idea and you are right, it did tone it down, also added more interest. Must remember that one.
    A delightful card and the steps are so well described.
    Hugs, Neet x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopped over from the blog post on scrapbook.com
    Love your card and all your other projects
    Have a great week !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant card and I love the way you've showed how you've played around with the colours and the placement to get it looking how you wanted.

    Thanks for playing along with Artful Times this week with your 10 cent papers!!!

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your feedback! Your comments are truly appreciated.